As the days are getting longer and I see some clear signs of spring in my yard, I thought of making an avocado shrimp salad. This is our summer favorite go to for a cold salad. It’s an excellent after school snack and party pleaser too.
I like to serve this salad with Belgian Endives (ahn-deevs). The Endives have a crisp texture and a sweet, nutty flavor with a mild bitterness. If Endives are not available to you, you can replace it with a cracker, Swiss chard, or lettuce leaf.
You will need:
- Belgian Endives
- 9-10 deveined, peeled and cooked shrimp
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 2 tbsp finely chopped cucumber
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper as per taste
- Spring onion for garnish
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- Separate the Belgian Endive leaves. Wipe the leaves with a moist paper towel. Keep aside.
- Remove the pit and cut the avocado into small pieces.
- Cut the shrimps into bit size pieces.
- Mix avocado, cut shrimp, chopped cilantro, cucumber, lemon juice, crushed pepper, spring onions, salt and pepper.
- Put about a tablespoon of the salad in the endive, sprinkle with black sesame seeds and serve.